Our business location had a fire last month. As far as we can gather, one of our employees went out back to the smoking area we had set up for them, and they dropped a lit cigarette into a trash can full of paper. We have an ashtray area set up for each of the employees to use, but he forgot. While insurance would help pay to get set back up again, another saving grace was the face that we have backup server done remotely for us through another company that we pay on a monthly basis.
For many years we chose to simply have a couple of extra servers at our location to handle all backups. But we do not have a server room, and this made us decide to have it done at a remote location instead. Little did we know this choice would save us. Physical servers at our location would have never made it through the fire. In fact, next to nothing in our building survived the fire.
We were able to set up at another location. Continue reading